Friday, December 07, 2007

Made in America?

I own a 2005 Saturn Vue and for the most part was really happy with it until...that's right, parts made overseas and assembled in America started to fail. Around 40,000 miles a wheel barring went, around 50,000 a top strut nut started making an awful noise, and now at around 60,000 the ignition switch is sticking. And so it seems that a car I purchased with the intent of keeping until it died is going to need parts replaced every 10,000 miles or so. I'm going to need a saving account just for car repair; do they have flex spending accounts for cars? There probably needs to be some sort of government funded program for car repairs, mechanic-aid.

Back in the day you could buy a car and it would last you past the body falling off from rust. Now your lucky if you can get a car to 100,000 miles without major repair. We as a society that wants more for less have forced a sacrifice in quality to lower cost only to have higher maintenance costs. What happened to craftsmanship and being proud of your work?

At least my Stormy Kromer is made in America!


Powered by ScribeFire.

1 comment:

Autumn said...

That sucks!

I've had to put a lot of money into my Trooper for things like that, why oh why did I buy a Japanese made SUV anyway?

I like yr blog, post more!